One of the headquarters of the National Roman Museum, a treasure trove of artifacts of ancient Rome, is located in Palazzo Massimo, just a few steps form Termini Station.
Palazzo Massimo is a neoclassical building, class=”s1″>built between 1883 and 1887, for the Jesuit Father Massimiliano Massimo, and was a college until 1960, before being purchased by the Italian state.
Palazzo Massimo houses the National Roman Museum since 1998. The tour of the museum covers four floors; sculptures, frescoes, mosaics, coins and works in gold, testifying to the evolution of the artistic culture of Rome from the late Republican age to late antiquity (II cent. BC – V century AD.).
The National Roman Museum tour in Palazzo Massimo begins on the ground floor of Palazzo Massimo: we will find ourselves in Ancient Greece and we could admire a series of Greek originals, unearthed in Rome.
The tour will continue on the first floor of the museum, where we will find famous masterpieces of statuary, including the Lancellotti’s Disco Thrower, the Maiden of Anzio and the Sleeping Hermaphrodite, and magnificent sarcophagi, like that of Portonaccio, with a battle scene carved in high relief.
Moving to the second floor, Palazzo Massimo and National Roman Museum tour will bring us to watch frescoed walls and mosaics documenting home decoration of prestigious Roman residences, as the portion of the Painted Garden of Villa Livia.
Below ground, the itinerary of the of the National Roman Museum offers an extensive numismatic collection, as well as furniture, jewelry and the Grottarossa mummy.
Among the most significant groups for completeness of subject and quantity of pieces should be noted: